How do you show your mum you love her on Mother’s Day? For us, I’m sure you guessed, we show her through food! Every special occasion (and lets face it, most not so special occasions) mum slaves away in the kitchen, creating the most monumental feasts, making sure to include everybody’s favourite dish. It’s only fair that on Mother’s Day, you make something from the heart for her and what mum doesn’t like a surprise breakfast in bed!
Why not make your mum her very own not-so-average breakfast in bed with some amazing buckwheat pancakes! Buckwheat is an amazing super food, with about a million reasons why you should eat it. Try this scrumptious recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes from Gluten-Free-Vegan-Girl:
- 2 cups almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice from 1/2 lemon, optional but recommended
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (preferably organic)
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/3 cup water (more if needed)
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Place the dates, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla essence in a high-speed blender/food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste. Stir this mixture in with the dry ingredients until you have a relatively thick batter.
2. Heat up a non-stick pan on medium heat before pouring in about 1/4 cup batter per pancake. When the pancakes has started to firm up on the upward-facing side, flip around and cook on the other side until they are a deep
golden color. It is very important that you do not have a too high heat, as this will result in burnt and/or uncooked pancakes. Place the pancakes on a plate and place a towel on top to retain the heat. Repeat until all of the batter has been used.
3. While that is cooking we are going to make the blueberry sauce. Simply add all of the ingredients listed into a medium-sized pot and bring to a simmer. When the blueberries are no longer frozen (and the dates are soft enough to be blended) grab a hand-blender or transfer sauce to a regular blender, and pulse until properly combined. Pour this into a jar and set aside.
Now simply drizzle the sauce on to the pancakes, garnish with a handful of additional blueberries and enjoy!